Bank Holiday Monday and the weather over here was very decent for this time of year; a bit cold but the sun was shining and the rain (and snow) seemed like it was going to avoid us for a change. I took a leaf out of Dave( T)'s book and got down to the park with a set of stumps and a bag of balls and worked on my bowling by myself for a couple of hours. I stuck down the stumps and put a tennis ball just outside off-stump on a length and set about getting comfortable with the action and pitching the ball as close to the target as possible.
I’m fairly happy with how it went; a decent number pitched close to the tennis ball and went on to just go over off stump; a few pitched too full (probably half volley) but were still on a good line, and some of these did dislodge the bails; three actually did hit the marker; and for most of the ones that went awry I knew what I was doing wrong (mostly not getting my right leg through which meant arm wasn’t getting around – hence ball down leg). I should probably start keeping track of the numbers so I can see if I’m making progress. Once the evenings stretch I’ll try to call into the pitch on the way home from work a few evenings a week to peg down a few.
The strangest thing of all was the amount of spectators :blush: - a fair few dog-walkers, buggy-pushers, knackered-joggers and general others stopped on the way by to watch a ball or two. Obviously, the vast majority wouldn’t have been able to tell a wide long-hop from an inswinging-yorker (I wish!!), but I still felt under pressure when they were standing there. It’s a good thing really, of course – bowling under imagined pressure from randomers will probably stand me in stead when it comes to match situations. To date, my 1.3 league overs have come when we were so far behind that the game was definitely over – a trend I’m hoping to alter this year.
One thing that wasn’t great about practice was that I’d only one (count ‘em … er it) cricket ball. So improvisation was called for! I brought a selection of balls from the house that I’d hoarded over the last year for various solo practice sessions – including a baseball, a hockey ball, a hockey training ball and 2 sliotars. I’m going on e-Bay today to see if I can pick up a box of cricket balls fairly cheap for these bowling sessions.
I did notice that I'd a few deliveries that pitched on a length and then just skidded through low. This seemed to only happen when I wasn't following through my run-up, so it's not surprising that I got no bounce. But I was thinking, if I can get some control over it, it could be a good variation. A slower short ball that just doesn't get up. I know it would give me trouble, I'd probably be moving back as soon as I see it short and I'd almost certainly be trapped LBW or bowled under the bat. Maybe once I'm happier with the stock ball I'll come back to it.
So as Easter Mondays go … not a bad one!
With regards nets last Thursday – it was very quiet. What with the long weekend there weren’t many hanging around the Big Smoke (aka
One thing I did figure out was that I can bat fairly well if the ball is slow enough for me to pick the length. I’m OK for line – I just don’t know how to link where the ball pitches to what shot I should be playing. Practice I guess! Roll on bowling machine!!! Minor setback on that front as the company I was ordering the motors from only had one in stock – so it’ll be a while before I get my hands on them. Might see if I can get someone to feed me throwdowns in the meantime.
In other news, our club have links with a local taverners side – they play on our pitch and we get to play 4 or 5 of our guys in their games. It’s a great way for beginners to get some match experience in an environment where the result doesn’t really matter. So this year, I’ve been asked to be the taverners liason. Basically being the club contact for them and picking the players for the matches. Someone obviously thinks I’m ready for some responsibility – club captain here I come :p
Either that or nobody else wants to do it!! :D :D

No comments:
Post a Comment