Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Repetitive Runs and Random Rants

A (relatively) quick training update ... We had our usual outdoor net session last night - what with it being tuesday and all. Myself and Stephen were there relatively early - so we decided that after the weekend's collapse we'd start doing throwdowns straight at the stumps and just work on keeping the bloody thing out!!!

I have two woeful habits of a) not moving my feet and b) not leaning into the shot enough - among plenty of other things I'm not doing right I'm sure ::) These two major errors conspire to make sure that a) I'm not in line with the ball and b) There's a clear foot of room under the bat for me to get bowled through :(

So after working on this for a while I was happier that I'm improving a little bit, which is better than nothing. To be fair - I'm not bad at putting a ball away if it's outside off-stump - so if I can learn to keep the stright ones out it leaves the door open for my average to get into the realm of natural numbers again.

After that we did some running drills - and it reminded me why I don't partake in endurance sports! Basically the game was for the coach to hit the ball out towards the fielders - then the batsmen have to judge whether a run is on and employ proper calling etc to take it before the ball comes back to the keeper. This was straightforward for the first few - good communication between myself and the other man - but the problem was, as soon as the run was finished, he was hitting the ball out again! So we ended up just sprinting from wicket to wicket over and over - which was crap! I couldn't breathe after about 15 runs - which isn't conducive to good calling and so defeats the purpose somewhat! I reckon the drill would work slightly better if there were two pairs of batsmen so that there could be a bit of recovery time in between runs.

I've spent a while today trying to get players together for a taverners game this Friday - why does nobody answer bloody texts!!! And while I'm having a Random Rant (tm) I realised at lunch today that people who put salt on their food without tasting it really bug me. How can you possibly know that the food you're eating needs salt if you haven't tasted it!!! I saw this behaviour being referred to before as auto-condimenting :) - can't remember where I heard that but I like it.

No comments: