Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Addendum

As an addendum to the last post I've uploaded the pictures for the day (or at least the part of it that our president (pic below) was there)
el Presidenté

This chap was my batting partner for the day. As you can see he generally looks like he knows what he's doing a bit more than me. So unsurprisingly he got most of the runs.
Middle - BOG for the day
I've mentioned Stephen before - he only started playing this year and got a two wickets in his first game for us. He won the cup and was BOG for some very good bowling - some great batting - and a cool head in the field. When he was bowling to me I couldn't get him away for a single that would have got our batsman on strike. And then when he was batting he attacked at the right time (hit two 4s on long grass), and defended at the right time (blocked an over when they had a 5 run lead). Best of all was the run-out on the last ball that won the cup. The batsmen needed 3 to win (a tie would have still lost them the game). They ran the two quickly and turned for the 3rd as the ball was coming back in - Stephen picked it up and instead of throwing down the stumps, scrambled and dived into them to secure the win by about a foot!

As for myself - there's the Good(ish):
Leaving one down leg - got a few wides for that
The first on-drive I've managed to hit well
Backing up on the last ball of the over to secure a drop-and-run single

The Bad:
Completely missing one that I tried to hoist over midwicket - very lucky not to get bowled
A wideish ball that I played through cover. The result is OK, but the shot ain't so hot. Not a big enough step forward - and hitting the ball too far in front of myself.

And the Ugly:
I think I was trying to guide it into the gap at cover - but then realised it was too straight. Hence the most awkward and useless forward defensive ever!! (Somehow worked though)

5 comments:

Miss Field said...

Wow, whoever took those photos either had a really good telephoto lens or was very, very brave.

Edladd said...

It was el presidenté himself standing beside the umpire. I'm sure he'd ne'er a worry off my batting though, the chances of the ball going anywhere at speed are pretty much non-existent.

Miss Field said...

Haha at least you connect bat and ball, you're way ahead of me.

Edladd said...

I’m not falling for that one, I've heard the stories about that Aussie radio guy who said women couldn't play cricket, so they knocked 5 shades of shit out of him :) (with a ball of course). Do you play much yourself? And are you getting out to India in time for the last test in November? Looks like they got off to a decent start at least - other than Matty Hayden who was unfortunate by all accounts.

Miss Field said...

When I booked I hadn't thought to see if I could arrange to see any cricket... I won't be able to, which is a shame.

Haha did you hear about that radio stunt, that was funny. He did take on the national women's side though. Zoe Goss bowled Brian Lara out for a duck too ;)

Not me though. Playing cricket is limited to the occasional afternoon in the nets with my mates, and I am terrible. If I hit the ball it is a miracle.